Thursday, March 22, 2007

Better to remain silent.......

One of several famous quotes I often reflect upon is, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt". This famous quote has been attributed to several people, such as Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstien and even Groucho Marx. A recent "Letter to the Editor" brought this quote immediately to mind. It seems the writer was upset with just about everything and everybody. This is but one of a handful of recent letters leveled at the current city and county administrations, he even doesn't like the new swimming pool or the street lights on Park Road.

He even dredges up the wheel tax, wow that's a blast from the past! But since you are the one to bring it up, the WHEEL TAX is a county tax, for county roads voted in by the COUNTY COMMISSIONERS years ago. To my knowledge not for city streets, which is yet another perception you have that is wrong. For the record, I don't like paying it either, but I've moved on.

We're all doomed!!!! That's the message these folks like to spread, and to be honest at least one candidate for Mayor is singing this same tune. The trouble is, these folks just don't get it. They don't know the facts.

For example, the Miller Center was gifted (in large part) by the Miller family. And yes, before you blow a gasket, we do have some debt on the community building but the fact is, it is paid for by the REVENUE the Miller Center collects from rentals and functions there. As for the pool, are you kidding? You are kidding right? You only need to actually drive by the pool this summer to realize that it was a minor expense compared to the enjoyment the families of our community recieves by having a place for families to spend recreational time. The "high dollar loop" around town was actually started in the mid-1960's and has been substantially paid for by federal and state monies.

As for the "Mayor's pay raise" well, I don't have a vote on that one, nor ANY raises for elected officials. That responsibility falls upon the City Council to approve or disapprove. Had our "informed letter writer" taken the time to gather the facts, or to even watch the CTV3 broadcasted council meetings, I actually argued AGAINST the pay raise the council proposed. Again, fact over fiction.

Now let me see, where does that leave us, oh yes..... The Mayor's tantrum over taxes. Where do these fairy tales come from? I would suggest that if anyone has the ability to legitimately reduce their property taxes maybe you should go to the courthouse and complain too. My home was being taxed as a commercial property even after closing my business to become Mayor, I simply asked to be treated as a residential property since I had officially closed my business but the difference was no where near 55%. I'm sure we would all appreciate our taxes being reduced even a slight amount. I am sorry if this has somehow offended anyone.

Next, the SECRET MEETINGS. Wow, that all sounds really covert and very mysterious doesn't it. But the FACT of the matter is, in todays business world any companies considering locating in Connersville (or any city) DEMAND that we keep things out of the public view until they make all their arrangement and finalize all the details. Heck there is nothing I'd love more then to blab the news, but I have to abide by the companies wishes to keep my silence.......

Perhaps, just perhaps Connersville has nothing to offer you, but I am sure a majority of the 15,400 people that currently live here, stay because they see a future in our city, and not the bleak, dark, sky is falling around our ears that you espouse. Maybe the Silver lining is here, you just refuse to see it. Funny thing is, I've never seen you at a single meeting to help improve our community, nor have I ever had the pleasure of seeing you attend a City Council meeting to get the facts.

No comments: